Known for obvious reasons as "Long Walk", this Stourton house, with the date stone "WJ 1832", was for many years home of a Bailey family. Margaret Dickins assigns its ownership to William Jaques (a fine house close by is known as "Jacques' House"); architectural evidence suggests that it may be a converted barn. Censuses and old maps tell us that (probably the left side of) it was the Police Station for some years in the 19th century. It is marked as such on the 1891 Ordnance Survey map, as shown below; the constable when the map was published was P.C. Henry Prime. The extension holding the police cell still exists there.
The reason for the house being set so far back from the road has almost certainly been explained. There is architectural evidence, especially, signs that the pitch of the roof has been altered, to suggest that the building was originally a barn; there are indications that a track ran along behind it.
The building shown as the Police Station on the Ordnance Survey map published in 1891, set back from the road, is clearly what is now known as “Long Walk”. The black blob jutting out from the rear of the building are what up to the mid-20th century were the “privy”, and a storehouse still known as the “hovel”. The blob at the end of the yard represents what was, at least in the earlier 20th century, the pig-sty. Built on to the rear of the main building, on the eastern corner, was the cell or “lock-up”, which until building work was carried out early in the 21st century still had iron rings attached to the walls to restrain miscreants.